Vote for a Greener Water Reclamation Board!
Cook County’s Metropolitan Water Reclamation District is one of the largest waste treatment and flood prevention agencies in the world. Overseen by an elected Board of Commissioners, this taxpayer-funded agency is also one of Cook County’s largest governmental bodies, with over 2,000 employees and an annual operating budget of well over a billion dollars.
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, or MWRD, is responsible for:
- Flood prevention and abatement in Cook County
- Wastewater and sewage treatment for most of Cook County (a handful of suburban municipalities have their own sewer authority)
- Water quality testing in the Chicago Area Waterway System, which covers 76 miles of navigable waterways all across Cook County
For more than 20 years, all Commissioners elected to the Board have been Democrats. The Green Party is running a full slate of three candidates in 2020 on a unified platform that prioritizes flood-preventing infrastructure and governmental reforms to end the entrenched culture of pay-to-play, cronyism, and nepotism.
Vote Green Party candidates for clean water, clean soil, and clean government!
• PhD in Statistics/Machine Learning, UIC 2013
• Volunteer Director, P.E.R.R.O. (Pilsen Environmental Rights and Reform Organization)
• 6 years as a data scientist in the tech industry
• 4 years Pilsen Academy Local School Council
• Lifelong Chicagoland resident
• CPS Elementary school special education Teacher
• Member of the Executive Board of the CTU
• Petitioned to run for 28th ward alderman in 2015
• Chair of the Black Caucus of the American Federation of Teachers and the Chicago Teachers Union
• Executive Board member of Mothers Who Care and Westside Democracy for America
• M.S. Environmental Studies & Environmental Public Policy
• B.A. Political Science & Sociology
• Grew up on a farm in Barrington, IL
• Worth Township Committeeman
• Environmental educator, agricultural and farm animal welfare freelance volunteer writer for the non-profit Crate-Free Illinois